Friday, April 26, 2013

I know you mainly like Baroque, but are you familiar at all with Claude Debussy or Maurice Ravel? (By "classical after Baroque", do you mean all music generically termed "classical", or the Classical style in particular?)

I probably should rephrase that sentence, because it doesn’t mean exactly what I actually feel. It’s not that I don’t like classical (yes, as in the generic term) music after early music, in reality I actually do like some Beethoven pieces and compositions by other later composers like Debussy. What I mean is that I don’t enjoy it in the same way, or more specifically it doesn’t have the same influence on me as early music. Romantic and impressionist music seems to put emphasis on the sound and quality (and thus emotion) of a note, while Baroque music achieves emotional response by its structure, and how each musical phrase relates to another. I’m sure that is not the most academic (or even correct) way of putting it, but I think you’ll understand :D. The structural and ornamental qualities of Baroque music attracts my attention, and to the least makes me want to peer deeper in the complexity of its patterns and styles more so than the music of 19th century and etc. It’s really two schools of thought and arrangement, that of early and modern music, and they both have their own unique characteristics that invoke different feelings in different people.


Thank you for the question :) Sorry for any errors, for I wrote this on my phone! :D




via Tumblr http://sirnot.tumblr.com/post/48981423909

No comments:

Post a Comment